Friday 5 February 2016

My Third Trimester Essentials

The third trimester of my pregnancy may have been and gone for me, but I still remember the excitement and anticipation like it was yesterday. Not to mention the exhaustion, restless legs and constant badgering from family and friends! I did posts on my essentials for the first and second trimester, so I thought I'd go ahead an complete the set, even if it is ridiculously late. As always, these are just my personal opinions and recommendations.

Babystart Mum to Be Pillow Pack: £16.99- Argos
 
Pregnancy Pillows
I touched on these in my 2nd tri essentials, but my pillows became complete staples for me in the last few weeks. From 35 weeks onwards my bump was measuring ahead and causing me major strain, so the wedge was perfect to give me some support in bed/ on the couch. I also had restless leg syndrome during my pregnancy, and having my legs raised over the V-shaped pillow would ease the symptoms slightly to allow me to sleep.
 
 Ferrous Sulphate Tablets
I mentioned above that I had restless leg syndrome due to iron deficiency. I was prescribed the maximum dose of these iron tablets from week 28 onwards, and while I still suffered pretty badly with my symptoms  I've no idea how much worse I'd have been without them.
 
Pregnacare Tabs: £4.99/30 pack- various retailers
 
Pregnacare Tablets
I took these throughout my whole pregnancy to ensure bubs got all of her nutrients.
 
Supportive Shoes
I tend to just live in cheapy Primark flats throughout the summer months which I know aren't the best for your feet but have always served me well. However, I found being on my feet at work all day really hurt my feet during the last trimester so I had to invest in some decent flats. These also came in really handy when I started my maternity leave and was doing lots of walking to try and bring on labour.
 
Oral B Pro 600: £24.99(half price)
Electric Toothbrush
I switched to a manual toothbrush and the beginning of my pregnancy as my electric one ran out of charge and I just didn't bother to plug it in! However, I started to suffer painful, inflamed gums in my third trimester and really needed to improve my oral health routine to try and ease it. Flossing also really helped, and I'm pleased to say I've managed to keep it up since (it's my five minutes of peace in the evening- pathetic eh?!)
 
NHS Websites
I put a lot of research into writing my birth plan and looking into different types of births and pain relief, but I made sure to stick to reputable NHS websites which just presented facts and not opinions so that I could make my own decisions. I'll do a post which condenses all of this information soon which should save a lot of research time.
 
As I've said before, I was very lucky to have a smooth and uneventful pregnancy and didn't suffer badly with symptoms so I didn't have to rely on many products to help me through the wait to meet my baby girl! If there are any third-tri mams reading this, then remember that you're nearly there and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment