Wednesday 16 April 2014

Review: Batiste XXL Plumping Powder

If you're a girl with major flat hair problems, I sympathise. I'm always on the lookout for that elusive product which will truly deliver the 'lift' 'boost' and 'texture' that so many of those on the market claim to as my hair sadly seems to be immune to all methods of volumising bar the half-can of hairspray and vicious backcombing that I have to resort to.

I had heard quite a lot about volumising powders, specifically the Schwarzkopf got2be Powder'ful, which is my best friend's Holy Grail. Unfortunately, this seems hard to come by in Glasgow, and after looking for a couple of weeks I gave up (as I understand it, my friend buys three or four whenever she comes across it, so she was obviously getting to these shops just before I was).

I then stumbled across the dry shampoo queen Batiste's XXL plumping powder whilst shopping in Boots and decided to give it a try. At £3.99, it's a very reasonable price to pay to save your hair from that backcombing brush, and is usually on an offer of some sort (buy one get one half price when I bought it).
 

It is in a small handbag-friendly sized tub containing 5g of powder, which may not sound like much but believe me, a little goes a LONG way! It looks like talcum powder, but has an almost tacky feel when you rub in into your hands. To apply, you can either sprinkle it directly into the roots and massage in to create volume and texture, or rub into your fingertips first before touching your hair. Personally, I just apply it straight to my hair. Unlike dry shampoo or other products, the powder disappears into your hair easily upon massaging it, and won't leave any tell-tale marks on dark hair. 
 
 
I was absolutely astounded by the level of volume this provided. I really wasn't expecting much from the product at all. One little sprinkle, a rub in and a smooth over and I was all set to go with plenty of lift! I actually think I was a bit heavy-handed the first time I used it and kinda scared myself with the bouffant I ended up with so had to brush some out. This is my only downside of the product, as it is pretty stubborn and therefore difficult to brush out. I had to use a fine-toothed comb and be very gentle as it can make your hair feel almost matted.  It is for this reason that I only use the Batiste XXL plumping powder for nights out or on second-day hair as I personally don't like the texture that it leaves my hair. If I was an everyday hair-washer then I'd definitely reach for it every morning, but I'm lazy, and therefore quite content to put up with flat hair in between until I find my everyday miracle product. If you know of it, then do please let me know ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment