Wednesday 23 April 2014

Review: Dior Nail Lacquer (Rouge Altesse)

On the whole, I use drugstore brands. Occasionally though, my loyalty does wane and I enjoy a little flirtation with an upscale product.



And this was the culprit. Aaah, just look at it in all its rouge, shiny, Dior deliciousness. This was actually given to me by a friend who had acquired it as a gift with purchase on a fragrance. At an RRP of £18.50 for 10ml, it's certainly not cheap, and to be honest I probably wouldn't have bought it of my own accord. However I was excited to test out the formula. Maybe this would become my all-time favourite and I'd have to restrain myself from buying several more? 
In short, no.

The formula is great- thick and glossy, giving a shiny opaque colour with one coat, and a gel-like finish with two. The first time I used it, I got so excited by the colour pay-off with one coat that I left it like that... big mistake. After less than a day it was chipped to bits, and I had to do an emergency patch job with a drugstore brand before heading out for the night straight from work.

I then decided to give the Dior another chance, using two coats along with my usual base and top coat products. I'm currently on day four with this combination and chip-free.

Day 1                                Day 4
However, I very rarely have to paint my nails more frequently than every five days or so. As long as I take my time, apply my base, colour and top coat I'm pretty much set with most nail varnishes I've used. Maybe this says more for the base/top coats than the colour?

The winning combination- Orly Bonder rubberised
basecoat, No7 Stay Perfect
 topcoat
Yes the Dior formula is good, but for me it is standard. I can achieve the same results with brands which are a fraction of the price. I'll continue to use and enjoy this, but definitely wouldn't go out of my way to spend almost £20 on a repurchase. My advice would be to get a drugstore equivalent- my favourites being Barry M and Essie- and spend the rest of your money on something else. 

More bang for your buck as they say! 

Have you ever been sucked into a high-end product and been disappointed?
Let me know below.

No comments:

Post a Comment