Wednesday 17 September 2014

My Skincare Routine

I'm one of those people who loves 'routine' posts and videos- I love finding out exactly what products people use, whether they're any good, and getting ideas for things that I might want to try. I thought I'd do a post on my skincare routine as that's something I find really interesting to read from other people, so hopefully some of you will too!
As a quick disclaimer, I have normal to dry skin, although it has a tendency to become extremely dry in the winter months. Up until a couple of years ago I had little to no skincare routine- I removed my make-up with the Clean&Clear Blackhead clearing cleanser and that was it. No scrubs, no moisturisers and no masks. My skin was ridiculously oily, which I now realise was my dehydrated skin trying to overcompensate although hormones probably played a part too. As soon as I started a proper 'routine' I noticed a huge difference in the quality of my skin as well as the way my make-up sat on my face and I haven't looked back!




Morning
My morning skin routine is really simple- I figure if you cleanse properly at night then you only need a quick refresh in the morning. Plus, I don't have time for a complicated routine in the morning, I love my bed way too much for that! All I do is rinse my face with a foaming face wash. At the moment I'm using the Nivea Refreshing Facial Wash Gel, although to be honest I'm not particularly fussed about what brand I use, just as long as it foams nicely (I don't feel like it cleans my face otherwise). I know that lip products don't really count as a skincare routine, but I moisturise with a heavy-duty balm morning and night as part of my routine so I thought I'd just throw it in. Carmex does the job perfectly and really prepares my lips for lipstick and gloss in the morning. I'll then apply my moisturiser. I either use the Clean&Clear Dual Action Moisturiserwhich I featured in my August favourites- on hot days, or when I feel I only need something light. During winter, or on particularly 'thirsty' days I'll use something heavier. At the moment that's the Esteé Lauder Daywear which does the job, but to be honest I probably wont repurchase due to the price- £40 for 50ml. I've tried other brands that perform the same for less.

Evening
My evening routine is a lot more lengthy so I'll go through it in steps and tell you a little more about each product:

First, I use the Garnier Micellar Water and some cotton pads to remove the bulk of my make-up. I haven't ever tried Bioderma, so I can't comment on whether it matches up but I think it's fantastic as a first cleanse. It's gentle but removes the majority of my make-up including on my eyes and it's a fab price for such a big bottle (around £4 for 400ml), so a definite winner in my eyes.

Then I'll cleanse my skin using either a gel or hot cloth cleanser. At the moment I'm using the No7 Beautiful Skin Melting Gel Cleanser and I'm really enjoying it, although I'm not crazy about the strong rose scent. Luckily it doesn't linger after use, so I can live with it. The cleanser applies as a gel, but turns into an oil as you massage it and then to a milk as you wash it off. It breaks down all make-up residue, and because it turns to oil, it really hydrates the skin. Usually as soon as I wash off my cleanser my skin is crying out for moisturiser, but it has been really comfortable since using this.

At this point I'll often use my Olay Regenerist 3 Point Cleansing Brush with some more of the Nivea face wash to make my skin is thoroughly cleansed. I don't do this everyday, but it's great for days when I've worn heavier foundation. We all know what a nightmare that Doublewear is to shift! I was interested in getting a Clarisonic, but wasn't sure how I'd get along with it and it's a lot of money to spend on one item. I've had this about a year, and really notice a difference in my skin whenever I go a while without using it. If I'm religious with it, I find my skin is less bumpy and uneven, more glowy and any spots clear much faster. The only issue I have is that it's a bit abrasive for dry skin types and that's why I only use it 2-3 times a week. If you're interested in a Clarisonic but are on a budget, I'd definitely recommend you try one of the drugstore alternatives.

My night-time moisturising routine consists completely of No7- whoops! Over the years I've tried loads of variations, but if I can find something that works then I'll stay loyal. Plus, No7 is quite reasonably priced (especially with the £5 off voucher ;) ) so it's a win win. First I use the iconic No7 Protect and Perfect Advanced Serum. To be perfectly honest, I don't really notice a difference in my skin, but prevention is better than cure when it comes to anti-aging and the reviews speak for themselves. I then apply the No7 Youthful Eye Serum (same reasons as above), before finishing off with the No7 Protect and Perfect Night Cream which I love. Seriously, I've never used a moisturiser like it. I started using it last winter when my skin was going through a particularly dry phase -you could actually see the dryness across my nose and forehead...ick- and nothing else worked. Two nights of using this and I was sorted, and I've been using it ever since. I'd go as far as to say this is one of my Holy Grail products. And if it prevents any pesky wrinkles then that's a bonus ;)

Finally, I'll use a mask once a week as part of my pamper night routine. At the moment I'm using the Quick Fix Exfoliating Scrub Mask which promises to get rid of blackheads and blocked pores. I've only just started to use this, but it seems promising, so look out for a full review sometime soon.

And that's it! Phew, that was a lengthy post! I hope it's not too boring. If anyone has any recommendations for a new day cream or any thoughts about any products mentioned then please let me know :)




No comments:

Post a Comment