Wednesday 20 July 2016

A Mummy Update: 9 Months On

I am now nine months post C-section, and physically I'm feeling pretty good. As you know, I had an emergency section which thankfully went as perfectly as it could, and I've been left with no lasting issues. My scar has healed well, and has faded to light pink so I'm happy with that.



As I mentioned in my three month update, I gained 3 stone during my pregnancy. By the end of February I'd got down to 9st 12lbs (10lbs above my pre-pregnancy weight), but this has now crept back up to 10st 3lbs. Argh! Ava started sleeping through the night in March, and it has become our routine to treat ourselves to tea and cakes once she's down for the night at 7pm. We have also got engaged, so have had far too many celebration meals, cocktails and treats. I'm mad at myself for letting my weight creep back up, but to be honest I've been enjoying the past few months too much to care. Now the time has come to really do something about it though, and I'm lucky that D is joining me on my health quest so hopefully I should have more willpower! My aim is to be back to my pre-pregnancy weight for Ava's birthday in October, and to keep it off until after our wedding in May next year!

The stretch-marks are fading on my tummy area quite nicely, but are still vivid on my legs. The tops of my thighs I'm not bothered about as I don't tend to go around showing that bit off (!) but the ones of my calves have been bothering me, especially with the recent nice weather. I've had to wear maxi dresses as I'm too self-conscious of that area. I've started using Bio-Oil to see if that makes a difference, although I did use it all through my pregnancy and still fell victim to the stretch-marks. Hopefully by next summer I'll be able to wear shorts, as I don't think a maxi-dress will be the most practical item to run about after a toddler in!

Emotionally I'm the happiest and most content I've ever been. I feel so lucky to have an amazing daughter and fiance and I genuinely feel like I've got everything I ever wanted. I'm so enjoying this period of my life, and just wish I could stretch it out forever. I returned to work in May, and I am hating it. Obviously I have Mummy Guilt at leaving Ava, but I know she's well looked after by family and she actually doesn't give two hoots when I leave which makes it much easier. However, the work-life balance is simply not working for any of us. At the moment I'm self-employed, and it is causing so much stress when shifts are cancelled, come up last minute or get moved miles away. On average I'll be out of the house from 6am-8pm to work a seven hour shift because of the amount of travel, and it is completely knocking Ava's routine out of the window. On top of that I'm having to deal with companies paying me late (or not at all!) and it's just not worth it. I'm very lucky that I only have to work a couple of days a week, but the overall stress is awful and beginning to impact on our family life. I'm now on the hunt for a part-time job much closer to home, even if that means turning my back on my degree. For me now my family is much more important, and thankfully D is supportive of that. Wish me luck!




No comments:

Post a Comment